Max Verstappen: F1 boss Stefano Domenicali confident Red Bull driver will not quit the sport despite criticism of new cars | F1 news

Max Verstappen

Formula One president Stefano Domenicali says he is confident Max Verstappen will not leave the sport despite the four-time world champion’s recent concerns over new rules for the 2026 season.

During his media appearances at F1’s pre-season events, Verstappen said the new cars the sport’s bosses have been trying to make more sustainable are like “Formula E on steroids”.

Verstappen had said last year that if he didn’t think the sport’s new cars were “fun” to drive, he didn’t really see himself “hanging around”.

But after holding talks with Verstappen at Formula 1’s final pre-season test in Bahrain on Wednesday, Domenicali is confident the Red Bull driver will not be leaving the grid in the near future.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Verstappen was one of the first drivers on track at last week’s opening test in Bahrain.

“I met with Max,” Domenicali said. “We know that Max will be part of the future of Formula 1. It is very important that we listen to him, as we do with all top drivers.

“He has a way of saying things that can be interpreted in a certain way. But I can guarantee you that Max wants and cares about Formula 1 more than anyone.

“I had a very constructive meeting with him and we will have a very constructive meeting with the FIA ​​and with the teams to highlight the point of view of what he thinks needs to be done, which is to keep the driving style at the center without changing the approach.

“The development behind the car’s technology requires a different way of driving the cars. It has happened in the past, and it will also happen in the future.

“I’m pretty sure when we sit down in the middle of the year, or at the end of the year, you’ll see different comments. That’s normal in Formula 1.”

Having won four consecutive drivers’ titles from 2021-2024, Verstappen has established himself as the best driver on the current grid.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Verstappen reflects on Red Bull’s run during the first Bahrain pre-season test.

His future has been the subject of much speculation over the past few years, with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff trying hard to poach the Dutchman from rivals Red Bull.

Pressed on how he can be sure Verstappen will not retire, Domenicali added: “Because I have a very good relationship with Max.

“I know him very, very well. I spend a lot of time with him. That’s the reason, period. And he loves Formula 1, there’s no doubt about that.”

The drastic nature of the regulation change for 2026, which sees the introduction of both new power units and chassis, has led to questions about whether racing will suffer.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

McLaren’s Oscar Piastri was left ‘stranded’ on the track before Lewis Hamilton once again made the practice start in his Ferrari.

With the opening round at Melbourne’s Albert Park just two weeks away, Domenicali said: “I don’t understand the panic going around.

“There will be incredible racing, a lot of action, and that’s the most important thing. We have to keep calm because, as always, when there are new rules – as there were in 2014, 2017 and 2021 – there are doubts that everything is wrong. I’m not worried at all.”

Sky Sports F1’s Bahrain test schedule

Friday, February 20

Watch every race of the 2026 F1 season live on Sky Sports, starting with the Australian Grand Prix from 6-8 March. Stream Sky Sports with NOW – no contract, cancel anytime

  • 6.50-11.05: Morning session Live
  • 11.55-16.10: Afternoon session Live
  • 20:00: Test of Wrap

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *